Friday, October 31, 2008

April's Top 10 Movies for Halloween

No plot synopsis or explanation for why they are my favorite. Well, there's some reasoning, mostly just a list. Tell us your Halloween favorites in the comments!

10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - The original or the remake, really. The original is pretty ballsy since it has about 10 minutes of nothing but Leatherface chasing the girl through the woods. The only thing I actually like about the remake is the little "archive" clip at the beginning and at the end.

9. Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness - Classic. Enough said.

8. The Descent - Terrifying. This movie really freaks me out, I can't even watch it. I've only seen it once.

7. 28 Days Later - I usually hate zombie movies, but I love this one. Most zombie flicks feature very lethargic zombies who are simply after brains for whatever reason. I love that in this movie the zombies are incredibly quick and mostly just super angry and alive rather than the usual "living dead" billing that zombies generally get.

6. Nightmare on Elm Street - I know the movies ended up pretty sketch, but the first few work for a Halloween movie marathon with the lights out.

5. The Shining - Classic. I just can't pass up Jack's decent into madness, especially the part when Wendy finds the huge stack of papers that say nothing but "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

4. Nosferatu - Black and white, silent horror. Is there any better kind? Has to be the scariest version of Dracula that I have ever seen. Most of the other portrayals of vampires are too sexy to be all that scary.

3. American Werewolf in London - I think this movie is more funny than scary, but since it's about werewolves, the horror element is inherent in the plot. I can't pass up the clever use of music just before David turns into the werewolf (Bad Moon Rising - CCR and Blue Moon - Sam Cooke). Favorite line: "Aw, David you're hurting my feelings."

2. The Crow - Not so much horror as incredibly awesome. It takes place the day before Halloween, which is enough to give me an excuse to watch it every year. There are three sequels, but best to stick with the original, I think.

1. Psycho - I usually don't associate this with the "horror" category per se, but rather with psychological thriller, but it's pretty horrifying just the same, don't you think? This is also my favorite Hitchcock film.

No comments: